Friday, January 2, 2009

Just Another Drive To Work

California does fog really well. The queen of California fogs, of course, is the Tule fog which is frequently the cause of major vehicle pile ups on I5 between the northern foot of the Grapevine and Sacramento.
Other California fogs, though, can be quite impressive. This morning's was no exception.
When I backed out of my garage at about 7:30, I couldn't see across the street. It's a narrow street so visibility was perhaps thirty feet. Luckily for those of us having to go to work, the freeways were practically empty. Those of us on them got it that we couldn't see and maintained safe distance and slow speed.
Ordinarily when I drive to work I listen to KNX-AM for traffic reports. Since my favorite airborne traffic reporter was fogged in, I switched to KUSC-FM. Classical music and near nothing visibility seemed completely incompatible until Dennis Bartel announced the next piece: Richard Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries performed by the Berlin Symphony. I turned the radio in my old Jeep up as loud as I could get it without cracking the windshield. The fog closed in around me as I put my horned helmet on my head, picked up my shield in one hand, my spear in the other, wondered what to do with my sword, and changed my name to Brünnhilde.
Luckily California's legislators only made it illegal to send text messages while driving.
Deeper into the fog we traveled toward Valhalla. At the curve of the 210 and the 57 freeways, the fog completely lifted. I drove into the intentionally cute little town of LaVerne in bright sunlight.
Frequently at this time of year the LaVerne Police Department needs to generate revenue so there are check points not only for sobriety but for expired tags, no proof of insurance, incomprehensible vanity license plates -- that sort of thing. I worry about those check points because they always find something.
Wagner was finished. The accouterments, however, remained. As I turned south on White Avenue, I saw the red lights flashing ahead. Since I lacked photo identification proving that I was indeed one of the Valkyrie sisters, I turned onto a side street, took off my helmet and tossed it and the shield, sword, and spear into the back and went on to work taking another, different route.
Taking a different route to work occasionally is a good way to avoid dementia. On the other hand, driving to work regularly is a good way to go completely insane.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please post picture of you in helmet.

MaryWalkerBaron said...

Yeah. In order to see me wearing the Brunnhilde outfit you'd have to crawl into my mind. Trust me, you don't want to go there without one end of a rope tied your feet and the other end tied to a mountain.
Thanks for asking, though.