Thursday, May 29, 2008

Huh?

Once I was shopping in a Borders store at about 8:30 on a Saturday evening when I realized that I hadn’t eaten yet and was hungry. I saw that there was a café in the store. The menu board indicated that they served bagel melts, either turkey or ham on a bagel with cheese melted on top. I planned to ask for one without the meat. The price was $3.75, a little steep, I thought, for a toasted bagel with melted cheese, but it was what I wanted to eat, so what the heck; I ordered it. The counterman said, “We don’t serve hot sandwiches after 8:00 p.m.” I looked at the items in the display case, and saw a bagel with cheese on top. “I’ll have one of those”, I said. “We only have plain bagels and raisin bagels”, he said. “What about that one?” I countered. “It’s been in the case for about a year”, he said, “You wouldn’t want to eat it.” “Okay”, I said “I’ll have a plain bagel”. “Do you want it toasted?” he asked. “Sure” I said. “Would you like melted cheese on it?” I refrained from reminding him that that was exactly what I had asked for when we started this exchange. I got a toasted bagel with melted cheese for $1.50, the same price I would have paid for the plain bagel. Sometimes, just sometimes, you can get what you want.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You just have to keep seeking what you want and eventually you obtain it if you're persistent enough.