Saturday, September 4, 2010

Bringing Rudy Home

Today I brought the box containing the ashes of Rudolph Valentino Catz home from the vet's office.  It seemed the drive should be marked with ceremony but I couldn't think of what might be appropriate for such an occasion so I just got in the Jeep -- the very same Jeep that several years ago transported one rainy Sunday afternoon the Nobel Peace Prize winner Eli Wiesel across the width of Los Angeles County -- and headed East to Duarte.  I hadn't gone far when I saw, pulled over to the side of the Ventura (134) Freeway, a white, Rolls Royce hearse.  Several men wearing suits stood around the disabled vehicle.  Such a sight I had never before seen but it lacked at that time meaningful coherence.
On I drove to bring home Rudy.  Unable to make the trip a ceremony, I ran a couple of errands with the container holding what was once an amazing cat sitting on the front seat of the Jeep.  Errands finally finished, I got back on the Ventura (134) Freeway at Orange Grove Avenue in Pasadena and headed West toward home.
I hadn't driven more than a mile or two when a flat bed truck pulled into the lane next to me.  On the flat bed was the white, Rolls Royce hearse.  We traveled side by side until I took my exit.
Sometimes ceremony just happens.
Welcome home, Rudy.

1 comment:

Marnie said...

A ceremony well deserved by Rudy. He was more than a great animal - he was love!