Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Sometimes Being A Hero Is Easy

There's an alley beside the building where I work.  It goes past a school yard.  It's the quickest way to get from one site of the agency to another.  We all go down that alley several times a week.  Today as I was driving down the alley I saw a basket ball lying off to the side.  I could easily have driven around it except for the children standing on the playground side of the chain link fence staring at the ball.  So near and yet impossible to reach.  I pulled up beside the ball, got out of the old Jeep, and tossed the ball into the play ground.  The cheer was one of the most amazing sounds I've ever heard.  And above the cheering I heard a little girl say, "Thank you.  You are a very nice lady."
And that's the story of how I became a hero at least for today.

No comments: