Monday, April 1, 2013

April First And I'm No Fool

If I'm going to fall for the same old toothpaste on the toilet seat year after year after year it would be nice to at least know some of the origins of the April Fool's thing.  As it works out, the origins seem to be hidden in antiquity.  There is some reference to it in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales published around 1392 and others attribute it to the adoption of the Gregorian Calendar in the sixteenth century.  So we get it that this 'tom foolery' has been going on for some time.
Somehow I feel a little better knowing that this day of pranks goes back a long way because next year I will doubtless again sit on a toilet seat covered in toothpaste but perhaps I will remember that I'm not the first nor will I be the last.
And that's no joke.

No comments: