Friday, February 19, 2016

Torah Thoughts on Tetzaveh



In this week’s Torah portion, Tetzaveh (Ex. 27:20-30:10) God gives Moses the details of how the priestly vestments are to be made and how the consecration of the priests will be conducted.  Near the end of the portion, after these very precise instructions have been given comes this passage, “For there I will meet with you and there I will meet with the Israelites and it shall be sanctified by My Presence… I will abide among the Israelites and I will be their God. (Ex. 29:43, 45)


The notes to this portion in The Torah: A Women’s Commentary point out the daily sacrifices that will be offered by the priests consist of meat, cereal, oil and wine.  “The basic foodstuffs of the Israelite diet also become foods offered to God; the exalted resident of this resplendent earthly residence.”  

Today we do not have a tabernacle or a temple, but we are told that every Jewish home is a mikdash me’at, a miniature tabernacle, and that wherever Jews live, there God dwells.  As we celebrate this Shabbat, let us remember that, in addition to our family, God also resides in our home.  

No comments: