Sunday, June 5, 2016

Not Just Another Hole In The Ground

My home was built in the early 1800s about the time Abraham Lincoln was born.  The house was once the main residence on a 400+ acre farm.  It reflects farmhouse architecture.  There is nothing fancy about it.  It was built simply to withstand all types of weather.  The 400+ acres are gone and the house sits on only one acre of land.  It holds many stories and surprises all for me still in the discovery stage.
Not too long ago I noticed that a small area in my front yard covered with pavers appeared to be sinking.
Naturally I had to find out the source of the sink.
Here it is.  In my front yard was a well at one time open and bricked in.  I think at some point the folks got tired of lowering a bucket and sunk a pipe down into the water and doubtless used a hand pump to pull up the water.  They then filled up most of the well with dirt.  You can see the pipe on the left side of the well.
I would loved to have somehow preserved the bricked in well.  It was and remains beautiful.  However, reality won over my desire to keep the well available and I filled it with dirt.  I still know where it is.  The pavers are back in place and I've put flower pots on them.  The well, bricks and all, remain safely under dirt.
Life and front yards often offer amazing surprises.

No comments: