Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Getting Closer To Garden

Two raised beds down a however many my lumber allows to go.  If everything goes according to schedule, I should be ready to plant seeds within two weeks.
I live in gardening zone 7.  The zones are based on first frosts so they're pretty important. In Southern California, for example, gardeners can plant just about anything anytime.  Here on the East Coast things are a bit different.  We had freeze warnings just a few days ago.  My first plantings will be lettuce, beets, cabbage, cucumbers, eggplant, kale, leeks, melons, radishes, and summer squash.  Later on I hope to plant pumpkin, winter squash and potatoes.  We'll see.
This is all an experiment.  I'm learning as I go.  I think one of my biggest challenges will be to discourage squirrels and deer from eating everything just as fast as it comes up.  I'm hoping the split rail fence I'm putting up will help out with the deer.
I'll keep you posted.

No comments: