Thursday, April 23, 2015

I'm Getting Ready To Grow

I've begun the vegetable garden.  This is the first of 4 raised beds -- 3 feet wide, 5 feet long and 1 foot tall.  The support posts are 1 inch by 1 inch.  Why those dimensions, you might ask.  Because that's what would fit diagonally in my Jeep.  Next steps:  Build the other 3 beds which is a surprisingly easy task.  Just screw the boards onto the support posts.  It helps to have a variable speed electric drill.  I have one of those.  I bought it at Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) in Pasadena and had the sense to bring it with me to New Jersey.  Before I put in the mulch/top soil mix I will put cardboard or garden cloth on the ground to keep the weeds from growing up with the vegetables.  I've got the seeds thanks to High Mowing Organic Seeds in Vermont (www.highmowingseeds.com).  The fence you see is our backyard fence so it needs another three sides and, of course, a gate.  I think I'll put up a sign asking the deer to please not eat the vegetables.  I'm also thinking I should cover the beds in plastic with holes poked in for water and air.  We get heavy rains here which could damage the sprouting seeds.  It's kind of a scary thing to start a vegetable garden.  But then doing anything new can be a little scary.  There's always the risk of failure.   As the saying goes, though, the greatest failure is to never even try.
I'll keep you posted.

No comments: