Thursday, August 13, 2015

First Harvest

Here's what's in the bowl:  okra, collard greens, kale, Napa cabbage, potatoes, and a very small carrot picked by mistake while I was pulling a weed.
We got a late start this season and so the eggplant has yet to bloom.  The tomatoes large and small are getting ready to fight off squirrels.  Cucumbers are beginning to look like what they will soon become.  The watermelon, pumpkin and zucchini are blooming.  The cantaloupes kind of fizzled.  The beets and carrots (minus one) are in the works.
I harvested the potatoes out of curiousity.  They could probably wait awhile.
Last night I sauteed in olive oil everything harvested except the okra which will soon play a key role in a gumbo.
The apple tree went into some sort of shock.  I'm hoping recovery will come with spring.
We learn as we go - in all things but especially, it seems, in gardening.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments: