Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Look For The Rainbow

I don't think that looking for the rainbow is just a metaphorical suggestion even though the suggestion that we look for miracles and reasons for optimism is compelling and powerful.  I try to do that every day.
However, I also look for and delight in the discovery of actual rainbows.
Physics informs us that a rainbow is a meteorological phenomenon caused by reflection, refraction and dispersion of light in water droplets resulting in a spectrum of light.
Okay.  Got that.
I have twice witnessed rainbows in the making.  The first was in 1995.  I was sitting on a porch in Brooklyn just looking at the sky.  Suddenly I realized that something was happening.  The sky just looked different in a kind of unformed forming sort of way.  And then the rainbow materialized.
Last night I again witnessed the creation of a rainbow.  I went outside because the sky was so beautiful.  And then, just like on that Brooklyn porch, the sky seemed to be forming or making room in itself for the birth of the rainbow.  Then suddenly there is was.  It was visible just about long enough for me to take this picture.  Then it was gone.
Rainbows are, to me, magic.  I will continue looking for the rainbow in both metaphor and life.
Each time I find the rainbow I will remember that miracles happen.  Sometimes we just need to look for them.

No comments: