Wednesday, October 28, 2009

All or Nothing

I have this application on my computer called a "Network Repair Wizard". Although I have never asked it for anything, it helpfully pops up when I start the computer and attempts to evaluate my connection to the internet. Instead of a DSL or cable connection, which is always on, I use broadband, which must be manually turned on after starting up the computer. When I start my computer, my Network Repair Wizard busily goes to work and informs me that, woefully, I have no connection to the internet. Yes, I knew that; I haven't turned it on yet. Sometimes, after I have connected the broadband, it decides to re-evaluate the connection and informs me that my connection is just fine, and what did I think was the problem? The thing is just determined to constantly evaluate my network connection and let me know how things are going. And its news is always either all good or all bad.

It reminds me of the way people sometimes act. If things are going well, all is perfect and wonderful and nothing could go wrong. But when things are going badly, everything is woe and nothing will ever be good again. It's okay for a computer application with a one-track mind, but human beings really ought to have more perspective, and throw in there some shades of gray.

1 comment:

Marnie said...

Great perspective! Thanks for sharing!