Monday, October 19, 2009

Telephone Revisited

On November 19, 2008, the co-founder of this blog posted a hilarious entry on dealing with the phone company about repairing her land line. Now, I am living in the home with that land line and now it's me who is dealing with the phone company. It was much funnier reading about it than it is doing it.

First, it took me quite a while to wrest the repair phone number from the phone company website. The phone company makes it hard for you to talk to them by phone. No wonder they are in trouble. Then, the recording - I never did speak to a living human being - asked me to choose a date when I could be at home from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. "We're sorry," said the recording, "We do not have a four-hour time slot available on this date". Yeah, I'll just bet.

On the Laugh-In show, Lily Tomlin, used to play a character named Ernestine, a telephone operator. One of Ernestine's routines included the phrase, "We are the phone company. If you don't like us, try using two dixie cups with a string (snort of laughter)."

Ah, but that was the 1970s. I lived in New Jersey for six months last year with nothing but a cell phone, and it was just fine. If the phone company wants us to keep paying them for our land line, they'd better start acting as if they do.

1 comment:

Marnie said...

I agree - the phone company needs to start acting like they want us as customers instead of being just a nusiance to them. I liked you bit about Lily Tomlin - I remember her stit - it was very funny! Thanks for placing that funny scene back into my memory!!