Sunday, March 7, 2010

Holes In The Head

Come to find out we've all got a bunch of holes in our heads.  Those holes are called sinuses or sinus cavities.  They take up a lot of space and their purpose isn't quite clear.
According to Wikipedia, a number of possible functions has been proposed:
  • Decreasing the relative weight of the front of the skull, and especially the bones of the face. The shape of the facial bones is important, as a point of origin and insertion for the muscles of facial expression.
  • Increasing resonance of the voice.
  • Providing a buffer against blows to the face.
  • Insulating sensitive structures like dental roots and eyes from rapid temperature fluctuations in the nasal cavity.
  • Humidifying and heating of inhaled air because of slow air turnover in this region.
Here's what they mainly do -- get infected.  Or at least that's what mine mainly do.  I know the symptoms.  I feel woozy, disoriented, unsteady on my feet, confused.
I was pretty sure my interpretation of these most recent symptoms was correct.  I wanted to be certain before I began my Sudafed regimen or, as a last resort, went to a doctor.  I mean, unsteady on the feet, feeling disoriented, acting bizaare -- those could all be related to other things.
So I poured myself a Scotch - Chivas Regal this go around.
Yep.  I experienced an increase of the identical symptoms.
The next morning, after a couple cups of coffee, I started on the Sudafed.
If it isn't the Scotch then its a sinus infection.
Now if only all life could be that simple.

No comments: