Friday, August 26, 2011

"Teach Your Children" (or nieces and nephews etc...)

I have a Facebook account, most people do. It is a bit of a guilty pleasure to read "friends" posts because I typically walk away and think to myself, 'you can't make this explative up.' On occasion I read something that is not a glorification of years past and previous achievements (you were the starting quarterback in 8th grade??? you do realize you are north of 40 years old now...) that is thoughtful and means something. I saw the following post and re-posted it:

'Special request to all kids returning to school in the next few days . If you see someone who is struggling to make friends or being bullied because they don't have many friends or because they are shy or not as handsome or not dressed in the most "in" clothes, PLEASE step up. Say hi or at least smile at them in the hallway. You never know what that person might be facing outside of school. Your kindness might just make a BIG difference in someone's life!!~Translation, don't be an A**hole.'

Okay, I added the translation. This was by far one of the most "liked" postings I have ever had. But what does that mean in the great scheme of things?..

...This past Tuesday my kids returned to school. When I got home that evening, my daughter (4th grade) approached me and said, "Miranda is my new best friend, she just moved here and she didn’t know anyone." I instantly became glassy eyed sort of like I am now writing this and thought to myself 'you can't make this explative up' and for at least a moment the great scheme of things had meaning.

No comments: