Monday, July 30, 2012

Illness As A Second Language

Hospital admission took place through the Emergency Room even though we did not consider this an emergency.  In that holding area between life as we knew it and life as it was to become, we began learning our new language with terms like poorly defined, density, dilation, inferior portion, vena cava mm, cm, superior aspect, nodules, and lobes.  I tried to read the expressions of everyone who entered our room - looking for something that communicated, "This is nothing.  You'll both be home before you know it."  I would learn quickly to interpret nothing.
I brought my yellow legal pad into the emergency room and tried to write down every thing anyone said.  I still carry that pad with me every time we visit a doctor, every time we go for another test.  I will continue carrying it with me and writing down names, theories, instructions and all other information because sometimes life is just too much to take in all at once.

No comments: