Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hey, It's Raining!

I reflected on the post a week ago about the bundled up golfers as I watched my boy prepare for a high school soccer game tonight. However, unlike the golfers the soccer uniform consists of a thin nylon shirt and matching shorts that affords no protection from the elements.  You see,  its raining and as cold as I ever remember it in my 25 years of living in sunny southern California.  "Why aren't you coming? Tom asked.  I shake my head in disbelief why the entire day of outside sports wasn't cancelled.  What are they thinking? Tom calls me from his car parked as close as he could get to the field.  He opens the window for a clearer vision to give me an update and then closes it between plays to gather back the warmth that had escaped.  I have no interest in the play by play.  I question the sanity of the powers that be. All I can think about is the cold and wet boy with zero percent body fat that will return in the next hour shivering.   

3 comments:

MaryWalkerBaron said...

Soccer knows no reason when it comes to weather. Extreme heat, extreme cold, extremely bad air -- and still they play while the parents hold their collective breath and hope for the best. Hang in there.

Marnie said...

Congratulations! You have a true athlete who knows no cold, hot, rain, snow, etc. He is young and can feel nothing but the competition of the game.

Arava said...

Yes, he survived and after peeling off the wet clothes and a lengthy hot shower was ready for the next challenge..the question is... am I?