Friday, July 31, 2009

Boy Am I!

For longer than I care to admit, each Friday someone with whom I work asks me, "Are you ready for the weekend?"
My characteristic response has been to stare at the earnest colleague and reply, "I don't understand your question. My weekend requires no preparation." Well, maybe not those exact words but certainly words along those lines because I really have not understood the question. That is, I have not understood it until today. Now I have greater insight..
Not wanting to endure one more Friday of trying to figure out that completely confounding question, I asked someone with obviously far more social sense than I possess.
While her answer wasn't exactly, "You are an idiot." she would have been entitled to express that sentiment. She didn't though.
She explained that the question is generally rhetorical. The person asking it may actually be saying something like, "Wow! This week is over!."
Apparently many people who work a Monday through Friday week look forward to the week's end. To me, looking forward to the end of any day, week, month, or year seems like a lack of focus on the present and its possibilities.
Nevertheless, I can't wait to be asked the inevitable Friday question so I can respond, as instructed, "Boy Am I!"

1 comment:

Marnie said...

That question is rhetorical but a good part of the working force always refer to "TGIF" (thank God it's Friday). I don't know who came up with that, but it's spoken almost every Friday by someone.