Thursday, July 2, 2009

Friendly Service?

I have a real gripe!

For years, I've taken my car to a local gas station for gas and sometimes for a mechanical fix. The cashier was always busy but usually had a couple of minutes for friendly chatter. Likewise, with the mechanic. Several months ago, the cashier informed me the owner told her there was to be no chatter - strictly business. Shortly after that, the mechanic quit.

Today, I was at my local pharmacy and the usual person located my prescriptions and told me the owner advised her that all talk was to be of a business nature. In the past, I would converse with her for just a very few friendly minutes.

What's happening to our society? Is it some discipline enveloping American enterprise? Are we too busy to be courteous and friendly or have we become an uncaring society?

No comments: