Sunday, February 5, 2012

Getting Back To Now

I didn't realize it until I stopped to sort things out.  I had been feeling pretty overwhelmed.  Things just seemed to be piling up and I couldn't sort them out.
That's when I realized that I didn't need to sort anything out.  I've learned that when I feel overwhelmed it doesn't matter what action I take.  The important thing is to do something.  What the something is doesn't particularly matter -- take out the trash, sort the bills, clean out a drawer, do the laundry.  While it's true that none of those things may solve the bigger pile of 'stuff' the activity alone brings me back to the present.  And at least for me feeling overwhelmed means that's I've left the present moment and run head long into the future and allowed all of the unknowns to pile on top of me.
Take a deep breath is my secret.
It might just work for you, too.

No comments: