Monday, February 27, 2012

Tracking the Rainbow

I finished my last visit of the working day. Five thirty p.m. Quittin' time. I was right down the street from a Von's market, and I remembered that we needed a couple of things, so I headed that way. As I waited in the left turn lane for the light to change, I looked at the sky ahead of me and saw a wonderful rainbow. A few seconds later, another rainbow formed a little to the outside of the first. A double rainbow! I looked around at the other drivers and at the pedestrians on the street. I expected crowds to gather and point at the sky. But it appeared that I was the only one who noticed.

I pulled into the Von's parking lot and got out of the car for a better look. I was still facing the rainbow, which had by now had intensified in color and size. People were coming out of the store with their groceries, getting in their cars and driving away. A couple of Von's employees on break sat on a bench in front of the store drinking sodas. No one paid any attention. I bid the rainbow goodbye and walked toward the entrance as a young man came out of the store and looked straight at the sky. "Oh, wow!" he said, to everyone, and no one in particular, "Beautiful!". I smiled at my kindred spirit, and went in to do my shopping.

No comments: