Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Remembering Plenty

It's really easy these days to focus on what we don't -- what we've lost, what we need but can't afford, what we wish we could have but don't.  We hear daily on the news or read in the papers or on blogs about how the country has lost one more thing -- one more seemingly honest politician, one more celebrity gone to seed, one more drop in the value of the dollar.
We begin, perhaps, to see life from the vantage point of deprivation.  When that happens it's all too easy to begin to deprive ourselves or important self care that perhaps just a few years ago wouldn't have seemed beyond our grasp.
I'm not proposing that we put on blinders and pretend that during the past few years there have not been significant changes in the way we live and in the way we hope to again live one day.  I am proposing, though, that we find something each day for which we are grateful.
Gratitude won't improve the economy or make crooked politicians honest.  It will, though, help us get through a rough time because we are not so focused on loss.
Give it a try.
Today or tomorrow at the latest start saying, "I'm so grateful for ....." and then find something for which you are truly grateful.  I'm pretty sure you'll find quite a few things.  I know I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful for people like you and Leslie.