Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Many Questions

A couple of days ago, the Other Family Human and I drove past the Glendale Hilton. In the parking lot in front of the hotel was an oddly shaped vehicle, identical to the one in the picture beside these words. I was driving. "Did we just pass a big Oscar Mayer Wiener on wheels?" I asked the OFH. She affirmed that we had. We were stumped. What was it? A bus? Could you ride in it? More importantly, did they sell hot dogs from it?

So, we were glad to see that the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile, as it is officially known, was featured on the front page of today's Glendale News-Press. I scanned the article. I was hungry for information and, curiously at 7:00 a.m., for a hot dog. I was dismayed that the paper used the Wienermobile for nothing but a photo op. They showed the vehicle itself, and a picture of two Glendale natives taking a picture of it for their Facebook page. There was no accompanying article, no explanation of what the darn thing is. Irresponsible journalism. If it wasn't for Wikipedia, I would know nothing of the Weinermobile. But here's what I found out with a few minutes research:

The first Weinermobile was created in 1936 by Carl Mayer, nephew of the eponymous Oscar. There are seven in existence today. They exist solely to advertise Oscar Mayer wieners. They are driven by recent college graduates who get the job for one year and one year only. There are 300 people walking around the world with the dubious distinction of Oscar Mayer Wienermobile driver alumni. Wikipedia did not mention what they do now. And no, Oscar Mayer wieners are not sold from the Wienermobile. In that case, I suggest they park them closer to grocery stores.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amusing story. Thanks for sharing.