Sunday, June 20, 2010

Find What You Love

There I was stuck in traffic.  Who knew that how most people in Southern California celebrate Fathers' Day is to get in their cars and drive.  Or at least that's how it seemed to me this warm, Sunday, summer afternoon.  I wasn't in that mix of odd celebratory driving.  I actually had someplace to go and a certain time to be there.
And there I was stuck in a long line of cars going nowhere.  So I had time to study the vehicle directly in front of me -- ahead of me in the line going nowhere.
It was a black Ford Explorer that looked like it hadn't seen the inside of a covered structure since it left the show room years and miles ago.  The migratory patterns of generations of birds could be mapped on its top and sides and I'm sure, had I been able to see around it, on its hood.  Twigs and leaves clung to the rear window wipers.  The back window, in addition to being darkly tinted, was filthy with dust and mud and fingerprints and, yes, mapped bird migrations.  What caught my attention, though, was the bumper sticker in the back window.  As filthy as the rest of the window, the letters were difficult to make out.  When I finally was able to decipher the sticker's message, my opinion of being stuck in traffic changed just a bit.
Here's what the sticker read:  Find What You Love - Love What You Find.
Similar in ah ha depth to 'Where ever you go, there you are' here's what the message meant to me.  If you look for what you love in all you do, you can't help but love what you find.  And if you don't wind up finding what you love, you can choose to love whatever it was that you found.
It's all in the journey.
I chose to love that I found a pretty compelling message on the back of a dirty Ford Explorer -- and I wasn't even looking for it.

No comments: