Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dress for Success

For eight months I was unemployed and dressed accordingly. My daily uniform consisted of a t-shirt and either shorts or jeans, depending on the weather. Especially during the summer, when I sleep in a t-shirt and knit shorts, I often had to look in the mirror to check if I was dressed for the day or for bed.

Four weeks ago, I began an internship program at a nearby hospital. The salary is no better than being unemployed but it is a full-time commitment and will hopefully train me for a paying job. This hospital has a rather formal dress code. Female employees are expected to wear a professional suit, either pants or skirt, or a dress, or dress slacks. A jacket must always be worn. Male employees must add a necktie to their suit or sportcoat and dress slacks, so I'm getting off easy.

I was so excited about getting to dress for work that I had my first day's clothes laid out by ten o'clock in the morning the day before I began. I have a large array of professional clothing from my many years of employment, and I was eager to wear them again. I dove right in.

By Friday morning, the last day of my fourth week of dressing for success, I looked blearily at the suit on the hanger. Already, I was officially tired of wearing business dress every day. When I came home that evening, I was in my comfies before 7 p.m. Pathetic. I have spent the weekend being unable to distinguish between my day and night wear, and hopefully, by tomorrow morning, will be ready to jump back into my professional attire.

No comments: