Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's Raining, It's Pouring, Etc.

It's raining here in Southern California.  I know.  I know.  That really isn't news anywhere in the world except right here in LaLaLand.  Yesterday in a matter of a few hours almost three inches of rain fell on our balcony.  More specifically almost three inches of rain fell into the rain gauge.  Yes.  It's true.  We have a rain gauge.
I think it's important to mark stuff and since we don't have seasons with which to mark the life's passings, we can at least measure the rain.  An awesome task is checking the rain gauge.  Or at least it was when I was a child assigned to recording the rainfall in my father's journal.  I tried to be precise and even when I was convinced of rain but had nothing except and empty gauge I would enter in my best printing 'trace' into the log book for his later reference and contemplation.  My father and thus we lived by nature's whims.  Rain was a force with which to reckon.
As evacuation from the burn areas take effect at nine o'clock tomorrow morning anticipating debris flows, we again make note that nature is, indeed, a force with which to reckon.
If nothing more we are perhaps reminded that we're not all the time such hot stuff.

1 comment:

Marnie said...

Sometimes it takes a disaster to put things in proper perspective.