Sunday, January 22, 2012

More Lessons Learned From The Basset

In the scheme of things and compared to most representatives of the dog world, Basset Hounds are different in appearance.  I say that with all admiration and kindness but come on.  The Basset Hound does not exhibit the characteristics we might look for if we, for example, went looking for a big, handsome brute of a dog.
Here's the thing, though.
Basset Hounds feel really good about themselves.  They may have many deficits or behaviors that many might label deficits (stubborn and the aforementioned lack of any Alpha dog awareness, for example) but self esteem or positive self image is not among them.
So the lesson learned?
Why should I care what other people might think of how I look or how I behave?  My Basset Hound doesn't give a shit so neither should I.
In the future, therefore, I will try to nurture my inner Basset Hound and feel really good about myself.

No comments: