Sunday, August 3, 2008

How Deep Am I, Anyway?

Yesterday I spoke of getting back 'on track'.
A track helps to guide us. I like that image.
That track image, however, brings to mind another -- an opposite image.
Sometimes its hard for us to get back 'on track' because we are 'stuck in a rut'.
Some of the most famous ruts in this country were created by the wagons going west on the Oregon Trail.
The wheels of the heavily loaded wagons pulled by heavy draft animals and followed by those pioneers seeking adventure or a better life -- or following their souls' quests -- all traveled on the same trail between 1841 and 1869. Over and over again day after day and month after month those wagons and animals and people made their marks in the trail as they followed the exact path of those who had gone before them. Those marks became so deep and so firmly packed that the Oregon Trail Ruts can still be seen today. In some places those ruts are two feet deep and in other places they are an unbelievable six feet deep.
Over and over day after day month after month and year after year until finally those last settlers -- once they got on the trail -- may have felt like they had stepped onto a path from which there was no escape. On some days they probably felt safe. On others they might very well have felt trapped.
Being stuck in a rut can feel comforting in its predictability. Let's not be fooled, though. Ruts can limit vision and limited vision can conceal possibility.
In researching methods of 'getting back on track', I think I will first check out the depth of my ruts.
If I ask for ladders or long ropes, I'm sure you will understand.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone ought to tell this to the Cognitive Midgets that run the local Mental Health Facilities!

Anonymous said...

Once again, Mary, you've nailed it - somehow articulated he exact words I needed to hear. Not the words, perhaps,that I wanted, but the right ones nonetheless.

This is hard work.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but coming back two hard days later I see what I missed: "If I ask for ladders or long ropes, I'm sure you will understand."

Perhaps we do not need to check the depth of our ruts alone. Perhaps we can find people to help us not become stuck or lost in our own rutted thinking. Perhaps the only way to truly explore our tracks and ruts is to trust that someone will be there with ladders and long ropes when we need them.

MaryWalkerBaron said...

Under the message of welcome from witsendmagazine is a picture of a stairway. Above the picture is the caption
'The paths we choose'
and under the picture is the caption
'are best when traveled together.'