Saturday, August 2, 2008

Reclaiming The Writing Life

I write because if I don't my soul suffers.
If I go too long without writing, I fear my soul will die.
Because I had been pushing that particular envelope for some time, I decided to make a pretty powerful statement to the universe and move my soul to safer territory.
And so I made a deal with a friend. I would deliver the first draft of a novel of at least 250 pages and 70,000 words to him by August tenth. If I could not make said delivery, I would give him a considerable amount of money and the rights to the story. He assured me that he would do nothing pleasurable or worthwhile with the money. In fact, he intended to donate it to John McCain's political fund. He further assured me that he would turn my story idea into a cheap romance of the Harlequin variety.
All of this deal making took place in the middle of May.
I spent two weeks thinking about my situation and outlining my story. On June first I wrote the first word on the first page and every day, come trip to New York and loss of voice and turmoil at work and upper respiratory infection, I wrote. I made space in my life for myself. Those in my life who love and support me gladly made space in their lives for my soul's quest for safety.
I became my own priority.
Four days ago I wrote 'The End" on 75,000 words and 252 pages. Sure it's the first draft. Sure it's the rough draft. And sure, I did it.
It is so easy to lose track of who we are and of what sustains -- truly sustains -- us.
I got back on track.
So can you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It is so easy to lose track of who we are and of what sustains -- truly sustains -- us.
I got back on track.
So can you."

Thank you for these words - I sure hope you're right.

And congratulations - you've accomplished a great thing.

MaryWalkerBaron said...

I believe that I am right about our abilities to locate our paths and reclaim them.
Hang in there.
And thanks.

Anonymous said...

When you said you were writing a Novel, I had no idea that you had such a firm outline in place. I can't know unless you tell me, and especially that you were on a deadline. What is it about? I would NEVAH have tried to discuss that which is much lower on the priority scale than this cathartic and necessary effort. To everything there is a season and this is yours!! I never have heard YOUR story. I was not at the presentations when you shared part of who you are. I can only assume those revelations don't come easy to you...but know you have a friend in me. I so support this. It is said that we teach people how to treat us...not true! I don't get much support, I'm not one of the pretty people, nor do I have deep pockets. Behavior towards me appears to be one of the vestages (sp?)that some very ignorant and short sighted people think is acceptable treatment. I think support is as valuable a commodity as friendship. However, one is not mutually exclusive from the other. When there is respect AND support, there is a safety zone that surrounds us.

Anonymous said...

Your very lucky to have L, L is one of lifes blessings.

Anonymous said...

What a way to accomplish a goal. You've made it a competition which actually motivated you. Congrats to you. I hope the novel eventually gets pusblished. I love your writings. In time, you find your true friends who support whatever you do. :)