Thursday, January 15, 2009

Extra

He said he needed help to do well on the test.
"But you're a math wizard," I countered.
"It's not the math," he cowered, it's the English. "Everyone who wants to go to a top school gets a private tutor."
He's a wonderful student. He has over a 4.0 and plays team sports and is involved in community service. I feel sad that the boy feels inadequate. He tells me he need a tutor to "learn" the test so he will score well and be competitive when he applies to college. In my day you got a tutor when you scored poorly. Things have changed.
I made the necessary calls and found a program that offered "in home" specialized tutoring. The packages begin at 16 sessions and offers all sorts of testimonials of raising scores by astounding percentages.
I feel inadequate and acquiesce. It is expensive. I can't help feeling that learning how to be test savvy should be a class taught in his public high school. I feel it's unfair that the tutor appears in my house to help him raise his score. it seems artificial and I wonder about the kids that can't afford the extra help and simply must work through the test on their own.

2 comments:

MaryWalkerBaron said...

It's not fair that our children live under such burdens. Years ago when I saw fourth graders with wheeled back packs coming into the after school program where I taught, I felt frightened that the childhood of play and wonder would soon end. So now we do our best to balance both realities.
Hang in there.

Marnie said...

I'll say it again to you - you are to be congratulated - you've learned how to motivate your son. In this day and age, you must go the extra mile to achieve what you set out to do. Hang in there with your son - he's well on his way. I do agree, however, with Mary Walker Baron though, childhoold has certainly changed.