Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The New Face

My niece rolled her eyes and said, "What is this world coming to? The over fifty and under thirteen crowd have changed the face of facebook forever."  She was sharing a sentiment that (I'm sure) many young adults out there feel... "Get out of our faces."   Once my sister shared the wonders of facebook with me I was off and running.  At first I only had one friend.  Yes, my sister agreed to my request (I think she felt sorry for me) and became my first friend.  After a day I had five and as my web grew so did my number of friends.  I was thrilled to see all the people that wanted to be my friend once I completed my profile and had such fun in those first few days checking my "wall" to read about the lives of my circle of people.  I loved that students from long ago found me and wrote me notes. I found some friends from high school a billion years ago and even my best friend Judy from sleep away camp in the Berkshires.  My son's girlfriends are among my 20 friends (at last count) and people I used to work with have invited me back into their lives.  I love when people post new photos and that I can comment on publicly or privately.  I love that all of a sudden a photo of a someone I know, (a potential friend)  will appear and I can simply say, "Hi" and invite them in to my world.  So, even though my niece  hints that I am too old and my sons refuse to be my friends... I've made it a permanent place on my travels throughout the day.  

5 comments:

Marnie said...

Technology can certainly make you feel warm and fuzzy.

MaryWalkerBaron said...

The fact is that there is tremendous political power in FaceBook. Many of the protests against the passage of California's Prop 8 were organized on FaceBook.
So, Arava, best wishes on the launch of your political career.
Keep FaceBooking On!

Arava said...

Thanks for the encouragement! This posting has increased my circle!

ravaj said...

my mother just joined facebook - she figured it was the best way to stay up-to-date with her children. she finds it weird and fascinating, especially the third-person language induced by the status bar.

Leslie said...

In one of my high holiday sermons this past season I made reference to the question Facebook poses to us as we open it - What are you doing right now? - and how we can use it to account for ourselves.