Thursday, October 16, 2008

But It Really Is All About Me

A colleague of mine is leaving his position after nine years to assume a position elsewhere with more responsibility. He's been wanting to advance his career and well he should. Earlier today I heard a man scheduled to retire in March trying to talk my colleague out of leaving and advancing his career. Even though I was not involved in the conversation, I intruded myself into it by calling out, "Yes, but aren't you leaving in five and a half months?" The response was, "Yeah. But then I'd be the one leaving and not the one being left."
So, further intruding myself into their conversation, I said, "You're saying that everyone should hold off on their life plans until they have no impact on you?"
The man paused in thought.
"I guess I was just thinking of myself." Whereupon he turned to my colleague and wished him good luck and congratulations.
That's the way it is with comings and goings. We lose track, it seems, of what is our journey and what is the journey of the other person.
Sometimes it really isn't all about us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People speak before they think. If your friend had thought it thru he never would have made such a comment. Let people go where they are destined.