Thursday, October 30, 2008

Don't Blame Me

I had one of those dreams the other night that woke me up.  My middle son, age 20, was a middle-aged man. 
If that wasn't scary enough, he was blaming ME for not encouraging him enough to register and vote in what would have been his first presidential election. He was scolding me that he didn't vote in the most important election of the century!  
It took me a few minutes to find reality.  
It wasn't the easiest feat to get him to register.  He knew that California was solid blue so he thought he could sit this one out.  He also believed not registering would keep him out of the thing he dreaded most which was he confessed, the jury pool.  
After a gentle yet unrelenting family discussion, which included his older brother who voted early, my apolitical son acquiesced and registered as an independent.  With his commitment to being a participant in the political process so new,  I think we'll make a date to go on Tuesday together.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe we teach our children the power of the vote. Good job.

Anonymous said...

I believe they take the names of potential jurors from the DMV. Tell your son being a driver is all it takes - not registering to vote.