Sunday, October 26, 2008

Time Management And Other Follies

I have begun my annual descent into madness. Only when I have acquired the perfect calendar will I climb back up that precarious ladder into the light of normal functioning. We're talking my normal functioning here, not yours.
My schedule is neither so full nor so complicated that it requires the most perfect time management tool. I'm neither that busy nor that important. Nevertheless, a perfect tool is the focus of my end of October beginning of November obsession.
I generally buy my first calendar on hysterical impulse even though I know it will soon be rejected and spend its year in a desk drawer because, of course, time cannot be discarded even into the recycling bin. I will make that first purchase because my anxiety that all of the calendars will be gone within seconds of placement on the shelves will outweigh all other thoughts. That first purchase will be made at an art supply store. I will then begin prowling the calendar sections of book stores. I will probably go on line to see if other countries have better calendars than those available locally. Ultimately I will buy the same style calendar I have used for the past four years. Hopefully I will check to make certain it's for the year to come and not for the year about to be completed.
Yesterday in the check out line to pay for stage one of this predictable and completely out of control cycle, I saw a friend. She looked about as crazed as I felt. With no word of greeting she said, "I'll never find the perfect calendar. And every year I buy about a dozen of them and never like any of them."
I threw my arms around her. Misery really does love company. We were about to buy identical calendars. We'll doubtless run into each other at several book stores and office supply stores and if there are on line chats available for folks such as us we will certainly spend time with other desperate souls chatting about time and its management.
In the meantime, of course, time is slipping away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one who searched indefinitely for the perfect calendar of the forthcoming year. Whew - you have made me feel normal (whatever that is).

Anonymous said...

Despite our best efforts to manage time, it's always in charge.