Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Car Is Deader Than Yours

For a few weeks I have two vehicles. What a perfect time, I thought, to get the oil changed on my Jeep. Down the hill to the garage I drove it. I carefully dropped the key into the key slot and walked home feeling incredibly clever only to discover that my temporary and extra Saturn would not start. My neighborhood garage was closed for the weekend. No problem. Triple A came to my rescue and started the car. I drove it to my noon appointment. Afterwards, of course, the car wouldn't start. Back came triple A to my rescue. Same jovial guy in his 'to the rescue' tow truck. "No problem," he said. And again he started the car. My friend of the noon appointment volunteered to follow me to my neighborhood garage where, as you doubtless recall, I had left my Jeep. Saturn and I with friend following got about a hundred yards down her street before said Saturn died again like Mortimer from that long running musical "The Fantastics". By this time I was on a voice recognition basis with triple A. "We'll send him back." And so they did. Within minutes my new best friend had returned this time to tow the Saturn to my neighborhood garage. My friend, who probably had not planned on devoting her Saturday afternoon to my automotive travails, followed me to the neighborhood garage, waited patiently while I gathered up whatever I thought I might need from the Saturn, and then drove me home.
My neighbor from across the street, you remember that I won't vote for her should she run for vice president, came out of her home to say hello and how are you. I told her. "No problem," said she and offered me the use of her van explaining that I'd be doing her a favor by driving it and keeping the battery charged.
"I'll just grab the keys," she said. When she returned with the keys, she couldn't open the door remotely. Why? Because her battery was already dead.
"Looks like I'm a little late in helping you keep your battery charged," I observed and she had no choice but to agree.
"What's the name of that triple A guy?"
I didn't remember.
Another friend has volunteered his extra car for my use until I either gain control of my automotive situation or until his son is old enough to drive. The son will be sixteen in February. I'm hoping that by then I will either have one of my cars back or the internal combustion engine will have become obsolete.

No comments: