Sunday, October 12, 2008

Please Tell Me Every Key Chain Has At Least One

The title pretty much sums up the post. I have purposeless keys. I have no idea to which lock they might possibly belong. Some of these keys hang on a key thing in my kitchen. Others are in a plastic container in a cupboard. Some others are in the glove compartment of my car. And at least one still hangs on my key chain. What is it with me and keys, I'm wondering, that I can't throw them away? I notice that one of the keys hanging in the kitchen is actually to a car. I believe I may have once owned that car. I think they key goes to a Honda Prelude I wore out and donated to charity. Did I neglect to give the charity the ignition key?
Perhaps keys represent possibility or freedom. Maybe that's why I appear to be unable to discard them. Maybe I'm afraid that the minute the key is gone the lock will appear.
I'll keep trying to figure it out. In the meantime, I think I need to get a bigger plastic container. I wouldn't want to lose any of those keys.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a bunch of keys, too, that I don't remember what they're for. I think that's an essential aspect of modernity.

Anonymous said...

Could be one of my old keys. Keys have a way of leading us towards the future. You must close the door and the key to it and open another door with a new key.

Anonymous said...

I love the old key new key metaphor. Beautiful.