Friday, October 3, 2008

Winkin, Blinkin, and No Nod

I love my neighbor across the street. We've known each other for over thirty years. She's a great, courageous lady full of life who doesn't take crap, who has ample common sense, who faces toward life even when the odds seem to be against it. She knows what it takes to be a single parent. She knows how it feels to have a child for whom life is difficult.
She has created and run her own business. She knows a thing or two about making decisions, about hiring and firing, about multi-tasking, and about being on the executive level of something.
If she were running, I would not vote for her to become Vice President of this country and certainly not President even though I have not once -- in all of the years I've known her -- seen her wink -- even though she includes the 'g' in words ending in 'ing'. Despite those amazingly -- apparently unusual skills -- I still wouldn't vote for her.
Call me out of the loop, but I just happen to think that it takes more than across the street neighborliness to lead the free world -- to maneuver us out of a costly, unnecessary war -- to restore our lost civil liberties -- to repair our world image -- to provide health care for all -- to figure out how to stop this economic disaster. It takes seasoned experience and education and years of building consensus and 'kitchen cabinets'. It takes more than either my neighbor or I possess.
So, just in case she decides to run for Vice President, don't vote for my neighbor.
And just in case I decide to run for President, please don't vote for me, either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a nice thing to say about your neighbor. I'm sure she feels the same about you and I wouldn't vote for her either...sounds as though she has enough on her table.