Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lawn And Bumper Stickers

Instead of pulling in the driveway as we usually do, Tom kept going and we took a survey of the lawn politics in our thirty-house Claremont, California, development. We noticed that six of the eight houses that had a McCain-Palin sign also had a 'yes on eight' sign by its side. The Republican Party sadly proselytizing a fundamentalist view that places its morality on every citizen. Our faces lit up when we found a little pocket of five homes that had Obama-Biden signs. Excluding ours, that still left sixteen houses unaccounted for. I wondered where all the others stood. Were they too lazy to get a sign? Were they simply uninterested? Did they believe that politics was strictly a personal thing? Was my development filled with undecideds? I didn’t know. When we got out of the truck I noticed that Tom had stopped and was staring at the back of his vehicle. I asked him what was wrong. He didn’t say anything and then pointed to the back bumper on his Tahoe.

“Oh my God,” I said. "I wonder when this happened?” Someone earlier that day had placed a McCain/Palin bumper sticker over his Obama/Biden sticker. The thought that we had been driving around like that left us both feeling violated. For the first time in our lives we were both worried what the neighbors would think.

No comments: