Wednesday, October 8, 2008

These Aren't Debates

I took debate in college. I participated in debate tournaments. Later, as a speech teacher, I judged debate tournaments. It was scary business but then, critical thinking and critical debating are pretty scary.
I'm not sure what we should be calling these presidential and vice-presidential sound bite events but they certainly aren't debates.
So let's stop insulting the long and honored tradition of debate and call them something else.
And let's stop teaching the public that the art of debate is nothing more than reading from prepared cards responses having nothing to do with the critical and urgent questions and issues presented before the candidates and the public.
Give us a break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I can't watch them all the way through. If you have watched one speech of each candidate and one commercial from each you have seen the debates.