Sunday, March 1, 2009

Adventures with Coupons

MWB has challenged us to develop good habits, so I decided to start by shopping with supermarket coupons. Although I am not a spendthrift, I usually just go to the store and buy what I need. Yesterday, I watched my 90 year old dad and his home health aide going over the newspaper oohing and ahhing over the bargains and planning their purchases. I went home and did likewise. Eggland's Best Cage-Free Eggs! I need eggs. Eight O'Clock Coffee! I need coffee. Pledge Fabric Sweeper for Pet Hair. Boy, do I need that. The Family Dog leaves so much fur around that I could make another dog out of it.

I remembered to bring the coupons with me to the store. First stop: housewares aisle. I seem to remember a time when Pledge was just furniture polish in a spray can, but now they have a whole section devoted to enough Pledge cleaning products to boggle the mind. No Fabric Sweeper for Pet Hair, though. On to coffee. They had Eight O'Clock brand, all right, but all that was left was whole bean. I don't have a coffee grinder, and I think it would take too long to smash them up with a spoon. They do, though, have Eggland's Best Cage-Free Eggs, at $3.89 a dozen, and I have a 50 cent coupon. As I pick them up, I notice that Shop-Rite Cage-Free Eggs, which I usually buy, cost $3.29 a dozen. Even my inferior arithmetic talents inform me that I am about to use a coupon to pay a dime more for eggs than usual. Never mind. I brought my coupons, and I'm going to use them.

I also remembered to hand the coupons to the cashier, and watched as she applied them. Eggland's Best Cage-Free Eggs, one dollar off. Double coupons! I saved money! This is fun. I can't wait till next Sunday.

No comments: