Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Thing About Flax Seed

When I add flax seed to my diet, I feel like I'm doing myself a favor. Here's some stuff I've read about flax seed. I have to say that so you don't think I'm giving you medical advice.
Flax seed is reach in alpha-linolenic acid, an essential fatty acid which appears to help reduce our chances of heart disease. Alpha-linolenic acid belongs to the omega-3 fatty acids.
Flax seed also contains lignans, antioxidants, which may help protect against certain cancers.
Several years ago I was encouraged to eat flax seed and cottage cheese.
Dr. Johanna Budwig, a German biochemist, published a book called "Flax Oil as a True Aid Against Arthritis, Heart Infarction, Cancer, and other Diseases". I imagine it's a real page turner. I've never read it because the person touting flax seed and cottage cheese told me all about the book.
Anyway, Dr. Budwig's research led her to the conclusion that 2 tablespoons of flax seed or flax seed oil mixed into 1/4 cup of cottage cheese would help reduce our chances of heart disease, cancer, and stroke.
Why cottage cheese, you might ask. Apparently flax seed and flax seed oil becomes more effective when it's mixed with cottage cheese because the essential fats bind to the proteins and its easier for our bodies to absorb it. Don't ask me. I'm just the messenger.
Here's the thing, though.
When I do stuff like this I feel better. Maybe it's just because I know that I'm taking positive actions toward health.
Perhaps, then, the key is to choose a healthy activity and do it everyday, say for 21 days, to see if healthy activities become habits.
By the way, I'm getting the flax seed any way I can -- on cereal, in milk -- because of this 21 day thing I've got going.

1 comment:

Marnie said...

You've peaked my interest. Hmmm. Think I'll try it. Cottage cheese is a mainstay with me - why not put some flax seed on it so I can feel real healthy? I still haven't made up my mind as to the 21 day routine - is flax seed it?