Sunday, March 15, 2009

Tax Time

This was the weekend. The calendar cleared, I knew I could easily spend two almost full days preparing my tax records for the annual visit to the accountant.
Here it is a little after five on Sunday evening.
I have done everything imaginable around the house to avoid sitting at my desk and beginning this task. The appointment with the CPA is tomorrow. The eleventh hour is approaching.
I don't know why this year in particular I have so little enthusiasm for doing the civic duty about which I have absolutely no choice.
Could it be that we all have watched for nearly a decade our tax dollars be either spent foolishly or dangerously? Or is it because we witness people who have worked hard, paid their taxes on time, even managed to put aside enough to last a lifetime only to lose it all into the hands of crooks. Or perhaps we, too, have lost everything.
Better times are coming. I'm sure of that. In the meantime, I'm going to get to work on my taxes with or without enthusiasm.
Just as soon as I clean the garage, take out the trash, and resole my shoes.

No comments: