Saturday, November 15, 2008

Cruel Kindness, For Example

An oxymoron is defined as any type of utterance whether spoken or written which produces a seemingly self-contradictory effect. Apparently the word oxymoron originated in the 1650s. If something happens with sufficient frequency to require a name, we must assume that self contradiction is an integral part of human communication. By the way, the plural of oxymoron is 'oxymora'. That last bit of trivia allows me to make this next statement with confidence. I love oxymora.
This morning I came across quite a startling oxymoron. In the checkout line of some store or other, I reached into the cooler case to impulsively buy a bottle of water lest dehydration claim me as its own before I got home. Instead of the water bottle, I grabbed the bottle next to it. I had been distracted by a variety of headlines on the magazine rack above the cooler. Apparently Brad is at his wit's end. Michelle Obama is angry at Oprah. Angelina is not a favorite person of Jen's. So engrossed was I by the intensity of the tabloid drama I didn't even notice that I was not buying water until the bottle was in the hand of the check out person and about to be scanned.
I shrieked, "Oh, no!" and grabbed the bottle away from the startled clerk.
Completely transfixed, I held the bottle in front of me, appalled and intrigued by my almost purchase.
Diet Coke Plus.
Plus what besides chemicals sufficient to instantly eat corrosion off of an automobile battery? I held up the check out line to more closely peruse the label. It claimed that, in addition to corrosive chemicals, the drink contained vitamins and minerals. I wanted to know more. The people behind me in the check out line had begun to clear their throats and shuffle their feet. A baby had begun to scream. Even though I doubted the baby screamed at me, I did the polite thing. I bought the Coke.
I'm glad I bought it because I now have time to share the ingredients directly from the label: carbonated water, magnesium sulfate, caramel color, phosphoric acid, potassium sorbate and potassium benzoate (to protect taste), aspartame, natural flavors, acesulfame potassium, caffeine, zinc gluconate, niacinamide (vitamin B3), pyridoxine hydrochloriide (vitamin B6), cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) and phenylketonurics.
Aside from possibly the carbonated water, none of that stuff sounds good. If it were on the menu of even an awful restaurant, I wouldn't order it.
It does appear that the product contains, as claimed, vitamins and possibly even some minerals. Doubtless so does dirt.
I've had a grease spot on my garage floor for some time. Just for fun, I poured my drink on that spot. The result was even more astonishing that the drink's indirect claim to be healthy. What scrubbing and cat litter and wire brushes couldn't do, my Coke could. The grease spot is gone apparently vaporized by the harmless chemicals in the drink.
My only remaining question is, "What keeps the stuff from eating through its plastic bottle?"

6 comments:

Susan F said...

I used to work in nutrition education. We were given a memo explaining that the Coca Cola company actually used the coke to clean the engines of their big semi trucks that deliver the awful stuff to schools! Yuck.

Anonymous said...

I feel educated now. I had no idea Coke was so harmful. I no longer will have Coke in my household. Thanks for the tip off!

MaryWalkerBaron said...

In support of my own efforts to protect the English language, isn't 'closely peruse' redundant? In reviewing my original post, I noticed that perhaps I'm not the master of prose I had once believed.

Anonymous said...

Phosphoric acid has been documented to remove calcium from the bones during metabolism resulting in - you guessed it - porous bones. but don't worry, you can buy calcium supplements and fix it. Keep these big companies in business. Your health is their well-being.

Anonymous said...

Is your question " what keeps the stuff from eating through it's plastic bottle?" serious?!!
Like you don't know about the lead and depleted uranium lining???

MaryWalkerBaron said...

Oh, right. I had completely forgotten that the plastic bottles are specially lined. Thanks for the reminder.