Saturday, November 8, 2008

My Crossing Guard

Most weekdays, I walk from my home to the subway at the junction of Flatbush and Nostrand Avenues in Brooklyn. My walk takes me past four schools within two blocks: P.S. 152, P.S. 315, Midwood High School, and Brooklyn College. The high school and college students can look after themselves, presumably, but at the busy corner of Bedford Avenue and Glenwood Road, a crossing guard helps the elementary school children. One morning I was crossing Glenwood as the driver of an SUV was trying to nose his way into traffic, seemingly without regard to the pedestrian--me--in his path. When I got safely across the street to the crossing guard's corner, I stood waiting for the light to cross Bedford. She came over to me. "I saw you watching that guy. I was, too. I see everything at this corner." I try to vary my walking route somewhat, but I always make sure I cross Glenwood and Bedford at her corner. It's nice to know that you don't have to be a child to have someone watching out for you when you cross a busy street.

1 comment:

MaryWalkerBaron said...

I believe it's said that each of us has an angel walking at our side. In your case, your angel is a crossing guard waiting for you at her corner.