Sunday, November 16, 2008

Power To The People

I just returned from many hours in downtown Los Angeles at the rally supporting 'No on 8'. (This post was written Saturday evening, November 15.) It was inspiring. There were at least 40,000 people there. This is a civil rights movement all over again. I almost felt like we should have all been wearing yellow armbands that said "Gay...Regardless of Our Orientation...And Standing Together." One woman near me had a great sign that said: "Mo' No Mo'...Mormon leaving church to support civil rights for all!" The speakers were excellent, and at some points I was moved to tears. I was surrounded by people who were joyous, kind, and determined. Maybe you, too, were there or at some other rally.
I anticipate that there will be more gatherings pushing to have this horrible discriminatory proposition (Yes On 8) overturned by the state or federal supreme court as unconstitutional. It is not okay to deprive our inalienable rights to a part of the population. The history of the world and this country has shown this sort of discrimination over and over. I'd like to think we've learned that when we discriminate against one group, we discriminate against everyone. Who's next?
I hope you will find ways to support the ongoing efforts to get the proposition (the Yes on 8) overturned. And please try to find a way to join me for the next rally.
Power and love to the people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go! I, too, think Prop 8 should be overturned - it's against all our rights! It was shoved through (I believe) underhandedly.