Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Remote wars

I watched the election coverage last night with several young people ages 16 to 23.  We constantly fought over the remote.  A few only wanted to watch Stewart and Colbert on the comedy channel.  They believed Obama would win big and wanted to be entertained until the moment of certainty arrived.  There were a few that liked the special channel, tiny boxes on one screen displaying every network that offered coverage.  I tried to see how "cool" it was not to miss anything (as the benefit of this choice was explained to me) but I just felt confused and old.   I simply couldn't see or hear anything.   Since I was the senior senator in the room, I quickly vetoed this choice.  And then there were those that were perfectly fine with a skilled commercial flipping between CNN and MSNBC.  Every time someone usurped control, I felt a certain disloyalty to the people I had been getting my political food from this past year.  These young people I witnessed history with last night (some in school, some with jobs, some without) invaded my space, talked incessantly and laughed throughout the evening.  They were positive about change and how it will be achieved.  They liked that the new president plays basketball.  Seeing these young people engaged in the process (on any channel) makes me believe that the future is in very good hands.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must confess, when I got bored with the news commentators, I would flip to my Channel 52 to see Colbert and Stewart,

Anonymous said...

I love this posting and especially the right on and completely misleading title. Wonderful.