Tuesday, November 4, 2008

T-Ball for Tiny Tykes

Two years ago I was invited to my adopted Grandson's first T-ball game. The team consisted of ten 3 and 4 year olds. They gathered in the bull pen, giggling, comparing their uniforms and strutting their baseball stuff. Oh I'm sure they felt like big leaguers! After the team mom (my adopted daughter) settled the little ones in batting order on the bench, one at a time they would approach home plate with the help of their dads or moms. They were all so excited about being "real ball players". They kept getting up and down on the bench, runing back and forth. Finally, batter up! The little tykes had no idea who was batting, how they got to home plate, etc. They were extremely hyper. So....most dads or moms walked their little ones to home plate, showed them the stance and hollered when to swing at the ball - it was hilarious. One little boy cried all the way to home plate with his dad tugging him along. His dad helped him hit his first ball and ran with him towards the direction of first base. The little one was so proud that he hit the ball he couldn't help smiling from ear to ear. When they switched to field positions, most of the kids didn't know what to do. After a lot of coaxing from their moms and dads, they sort of got the idea. After a few hours, the kids were really getting tired so much so that some of them were sitting on the ground in the general direction of the area they were supposed to cover. The short stop (my grandson), sat in the same spot with his shoes off, playing with his feet during the entire time he was in the field. I couldn't believe it - my heart was touched to see these little tykes try to act like big leaguers. I am amused when I look back on the pictures I took that day.

1 comment:

MaryWalkerBaron said...

What a wonderful memory and what a touching tribute to simple pursuits.