Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sorry, Not Today Folks

I've been thinking a lot about those people on the corners waving their YES signs in my face. Today I was considering running an errand, picking up some essential piece of plastic upon which the quality of my life depends. I've decided to wait a few days to make that purchase. The self satisfied expressions on their faces is not a sight I care to take in this peaceful, post drizzly night morning on which I have been afforded an extra hour of time.
I do wonder, though, what aspect of traditional marriage they want to protect and preserve. Is it the high divorce rate? Is it the staggeringly high incidents of domestic violence and child abuse? Or are they protecting their fortress from liberation and joy and from people who have waited and organized and hoped for lifetimes that their time would come?
My current fantasy is that these 'traditional marriage' YES folk would suddenly become the minority. They would become the ten percent of the population and everyone would get to vote on whether or not the marriages of those ten percent would remain valid and whether or not that ten percent would ever again be allowed to legally marry. I think those YES folk would be pretty terrified.
It is so much easier to be self righteous when you're in the majority. In the majority it is so easy to forget that when you oppress one section of humanity you ultimately oppress yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter if it's a traditional marriage or same sex marriage, relationships are relationships and must be worked on at all times or there is no relationship. So everybody should have an equal opportunity to share in something that can be beautiful.