Friday, November 7, 2008

Lech Lecha

Saying good-by to my second son to leave home was easier than I thought.  I felt many things... relief, gratitude, joy and a touch of sadness.  It was far less dramatic yet similar to the feelings I had only a year ago when when the older one left for a dream job 3000 miles away.  A trained chef at twenty, this child needed to leave home.  That was clear.  His script was written in his hometown and so we gave him a gentle (yet firm) push to go for himself, to himself, to find himself.  Leaving one place for another is never easy.   But it seems that there is more fear than I remember when I left my parents home all those years ago.  The excitement tempered with a bad economy and fierce competition for a job with decent benefits.  Yes, he left.  And, if things don't work out he'll be back.   We'll dust him off, give him time to regroup and send him out again.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evidently, you did a good job raising him for him to want to strike out on his own. Congrats are in order for you! They all have to grow up!